Friday, September 25, 2009

Preparing for Surgery

On Wednesday September 30th I will be having my Uterus and cervix taken out, a bladder tack and vaginal re-constructive surgery. I will be having all of this done at a German hospital in a town called Birkenfeld. My Doc is Dr. Von Der Osten. he has very high recommendations and I have heard nothing but good things from other people (americans) who have had surgery by him. I am confident that he knows what he is doing. I just don't like being put to sleep lol.



This week has been filled with cleaning, running errands, getting paper work, making schedules, and tying up loose ends to get ready for my surgery. I will go to the hospital Tuesday morning at 7am and stay. Even tho my actual surgery will not be until the next day. After wards I will have to stay in there for 5-7 days, then come home and basically be on bed rest for 3 weeks. On top of all this the wonderful Army has decided to send my husband to school (on the other side of Germany) for the whole month of October, so he will not be here to help me. Now most people who are not associated with the military are like "just tell them you need your husband home with you" well you see it doesn't work that way. It will also be better for him to go to our next duty station (New Mexico) if he already has this school done and over with so he doesn't have to leave us right away after getting there. If all that stress wasn't enough just the fact that I am having MAJOR surgery in a foreign country is enough to scare the crap out of me, I have been in German hospitals and this is in no way an exaggeration they are scarey, dark, and not sterile looking at all. Basically they look exactly like what you see in horror movies. I will be stuck in a room with no T.V. well there will be T.V. but it will be all German. The food they serve is not like American, for breakfast you get a roll, butter and like this nasty looking bologna stuff with unsweet tea. They provided you with all the water you want BUT it has bubbles in it (how the germans drink that crap I will never know). Lunch is a hot lunch but good luck trying to figure out what it is. Then dinner is the same as breakfast. I am gonna take this as an opportunity to loose weight lol. There is phone service but you have to pay for it, like you buy a prepaid card,
well thats freaking expensive since its in Euro. Maybe I can just catch up on some well deserved sleep over the course of 7 days.......hhmmm that sounds like a great idea! Or maybe read a book I haven't done that in about 4 years!
I am so nervous it is only Friday and I was awake all night last night thinking none stop of things that I have not done, things that I have done, was I forgetting anything (I tend to have a really bad memory). I have two German ladies who have been helping me for the last year and a half or so with the kids, the house, going to Dr. apts with Turner and things like that who will be staying here at the house with the kids while I am in the hospital and also after while I am on bed rest. They are awesome people, the kids love them. Talking to my mom and I was telling her that Ramie was so excited that "oma" (thats german for grandma) was coming to stay with her. My mom said "well thats the only grandma she knows". Its true "oma" is older she was born in 1936 her daughter Monika was born in 1958 so they know how to run a household, I feel completly comfortable with them here. Shoot they will probably do a better job at taking care of the house and kids than I do!
What I am nervous about is the actual surgery I mean I have had 5 babies I know how bad that hurts I can only imagine how bad this is about to hurt LOL. But it will be worth it in the end, no more peeing on myself all the time lol
I will take my computer with me to hospital maybe I will get a internet connection and I will be able to keep up with my blog, that will give me something to do ;-)

1 comment:

Heidi Collins said...

I will sure be thinking about you! As I always say to you....You will be fine! Take care and I will check in on you! Love you!! xoxo